Cross Compilation with CMake and mk-sbuild

Hello,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this, but anyway:

Recently, I tried to use some Debian tools (mk-sbuild) to set up a sysroot for
cross-compiling some CMake projects. The details of this as well as a test
project is available:

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/75247387/modern-cmake-cross-compiling-to-aarch64-with-sysroots/75277478

Long story short though: Since the libraries in the sysroot use symlinks to
absolute paths (relative to the root of the sysroot), they are broken during compilation,
but are still picked up by CMake.

So, I guess my question boils down to mk-sbuild itself: Is this tool really
intended for cross-compilation, or is there a more appropriate one available?
Alternatively, is there some way of re-configuring the sysroot to use relative
symlinks for all libraries to avoid these kinds of issues?

Best regards,
Gustaf