Re: mapping from debian arch to qemu arch

Hi,

Quoting Michael Tokarev (2023-04-18 09:43:00)
> Yesterday I uploaded a new qemu release (to experimental), with the following
> commit:
> https://salsa.debian.org/qemu-team/qemu/-/commit/09115a82cd1cef9f76fc36d5ca5676ed494554ea
>
> which should fix this very issue.  You can now depend on, say,
> qemu-system-arm64, or run qemu-system-amd64 binary.

thank you, this helps! For example this simplification can be done to debvm:

https://salsa.debian.org/helmutg/debvm/-/merge_requests/31/diffs

On the other hand, there are still some rough edges. Theoretically, this
simplification could be done to autokpgtest but the package only Suggests
qemu-system so it's not possible to enforce the minimum version constraint:

https://salsa.debian.org/ci-team/autopkgtest/-/merge_requests/223/diffs

Another problem is, that this mapping only lives in the qemu-system-* packages.
My package mmdebstrap also needs a mapping from Debian architecture to Qemu
architecture but it only needs qemu-user installed because instead of running a
full system emulation, it makes use of binfmt_misc support. So if I wanted to
drop the map from mmdebstrap I would have to add a Depends on qemu-system,
which would be very wasteful. Is there a better solution for packages that only
need qemu-user and not qemu-system?

Thanks!

cheers, josch