Re: Build libzstd using cmake; add a non-cmake build profile?

Hi Timo,

On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 10:08:18AM +0100, Timo Röhling wrote:
> I appreciate your concern for the implications for the Debian
> ecosystem as a whole; in this particular case, I believe I can put
> your mind at ease: cmake has a bootstrap profile already, because
> dependency loops have come up before (e.g. libjsoncpp).
>
> I am Cc'ing debian-cross in case I overlooked something important,
> but I am reasonably sure that you need not deal with this issue in
> libzstd.

I think you can drop debian-cross@l.d.o again.

There are two major ways of bootstrapping. It's the cross bootstrap
(which is what I work on) and the native bootstrap (mostly Daniel
Schepler). On debian-cross we mostly care about cross bootstrap
(surprise!). Since cmake is marked Multi-Arch: foreign, we can (almost)
always B-D on it without negatively impacting cross builds.

What probably is impacted by this dependency is native bootstrap. My
understanding of native bootstrap is too limited to explain how (severe)
it is impacted. Since apt Build-Depends: cmake, it already is entangled
in some way. I'd hope that adding another cmake dependency is not ending
the world.

If you want to add a build profile, do not use stage1. This profile has
become meaningless and is thus deprecated. We are moving to functional
build profiles. Use pkg.libzstd.nocmake or something even more
descriptive.

Last but not least, I second the idea of improving cmake such that it
can deal with pkg-config files.

Helmut