Re: mapping from debian arch to qemu arch

23.12.2022 12:48, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
Hi,

Quoting Michael Tokarev (2022-12-22 17:17:06)
There are now several tools like autopkgtest or mmdebstrap that encode a
mapping from the debian architecture to the qemu architecture. Do you think
it would be possible for the qemu package to provide that mapping so that
other tools can just consume it instead of maintaining their own version of
it?

If yes, would you prefer a new script in qemu-system-common that does the
conversion or a machine readable text file in /usr/share that provides the
mapping?

What do you think it should be used for?  Maybe there's no need for a mapping
to begin with, maybe qemu packages can provide symlinks with the right
naming?

yes, most places (like /usr/share/devscripts/scripts/run_bisect_qemu) use it
exclusively to figure out the qemu-system-XXX binary to run for a specific
Debian architecture, but:

  - mmdebstrap for example also uses it to guess the right
    /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/qemu-XXX directory

What it is used for?

  - /usr/share/autopkgtest/lib/autopkgtest_qemu.py also needs the full list of
    available qemu-system-XXX binaries

Why? :)

  - /usr/bin/sbuild-qemu needs the full list of available arches to show the
    user the options that they can choose from

BTW, does sbuild really needs qemu-system (and sbuild-qemu to begin with)?

So I think having symlinks would already be an improvement, but some places
need access to the full mapping.

Would you like me to open a new feature request bug on the BTS for this?

Sure thing, - gimme the usage contexts, and we can cook something up.

FWIW, I was thinking about either dropping qemu-system package (it is a meta-
package now) entirely, or combining different qemu-system-$arch back to single
qemu-system.  Most of the time you don't need whole list, just a single arch.

For now, I'm not really sure we actually needs even the symlinks mentioned
above. This is just due to my misunderstanding, I guess.  For example, the
sbuild-qemu thing, - it needs not only the qemu-system-$arch binary naming
but also the package naming, it seems.

You can also send your reply to this mail to debian-cross@lists.debian.org Feel
free to quote me publicly.

Doing this now :)