RE: Dependencies of linux-headers-<arch> packages

Hi Josch,

Thanks for the detailed response.

> > This becomes an issue when cross-compiling kernel modules for other target
> architectures:
>
> instead of "target" you probably mean "host" architecture. The GNU
> terminology is "host" for the architecture you build for and "target" for the
> architecture that the compiler you build compiles binaries for. Since you are not
> building a compiler you want to use either host or build architecture. The
> terminology is explained in the dpkg-architecture man page.

Right... thanks for the hint.
I just mixed that up, because the terminology in the "embedded world" (e.g. yocto) is different (target=GNU host, host=GNU build).

> > The linux-headers packages cannot be co-installed due to the not co-
> installable cpp-<x> packages.
> >
> > By that, cross-compilation of kernel modules for other Debian targets is
> currently not possible (at least without removing the hosts cpp infrastructure).
> >
> > What is the reason to depend on compilers here?
> > Wouldn't be a "recommends" relation be sufficient here?
> > An alternative might also be to depend via `:native`, but I did not check that
> yet.
>
> You cannot add :native to runtime dependencies. The :native qualifier only
> makes sense for build dependencies. See
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchCross
>
> You can find the answer to your question in this thread:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/BY5PR04MB67876A933A82670BD934DEB2E4C89@BY5P
> R04MB6787.namprd04.prod.outlook.com
>
> Essentially, linux-headers-* should depend on gcc-10-for-host:arm64 but that is
> blocked by us not having enough time to work on
> https://bugs.debian.org/666743

Ok, got it. But what about the workaround proposed by Ben Hutchings.
Looks like this fixes the cross compiling, until #666743 is resolved.
IMHO it is also a better workaround than just removing the dependencies as suggested in the mail thread.

Felix