Re: General tips for improving cross-satisfiability when interpreted languages are involved

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 02:27:11PM +0000, John Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Most of my programming experience is with C, and it's personally hard
> for me to grasp the concerns involved when building modules for
> interpreted languages [...]

I've very little clues on cross-building and am genuinely curious
and looking forward towards the answers you get, but...

> * When building the Perl module failed, Debhelper gave me a hint that I
> probably needed a build-dep on perl-xs-dev (what's xs mean anyway?). I
> added this.

...this one I can contribute an answer to. XS stands for "external
subroutine" and is the (still canonical?) way to extend Perl with
C tidbits. It's so old there's even a Wikipedia page [1] on it.

Here's another nice article [2] worth skimming.

If your package has C extensions to Perl, -xs-dev sounds about right.

Perl arcana ;-)

Cheers
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XS_(Perl)
[2] https://www.perl.com/article/getting-started-with-xs/