Re: Further cross-building problems with chatty

Hi Travis,

Quoting Travis Wrightsman (2021-10-27 01:19:13)
> Dear Debian cross-builders,
>
> After fixing #996699, the libpurple0 dependency for chatty resolves
> correctly during cross-building. Unfortunately this seems to have
> uncovered further issues down the dependency chain. I'm now getting the
> following error while attempting to cross-build chatty with pbuilder:

>  libpurple0:arm64 : Depends: pidgin-data:arm64 (< 2.14.8-z) but it is not installable
>                     Depends: pidgin-data:arm64 (>= 2.14.8) but it is not installable
>                     Depends: perl-base:arm64 but it is not installable
>                     Depends: perlapi-5.32.1:arm64
> E: pbuilder-satisfydepends failed.
>
> I believe #828759 relates to this for pidgin-data

yes. Marking pidgin-data as M-A:foreign is the right fix as it is also
suggested by the multiarch-hinter. See the "action needed" items at
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pidgin

> and #717882 for perl-base and perlapi.
>
> I'm not sure on the correct fixes for these packages. It looks like the
> perl bug is especially tricky?

I'm adding debian-perl@lists.debian.org to the recipients as I'm not familiar
with Perl in a cross-build context. Maybe the Perl maintainers have a solution
for you.

I'm a bit confused that debhelper ${perl:Depends} adds an unversioned
dependency on perl-base even though it's essential:
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debhelper/-/blob/main/dh_perl#L152

Thanks!

cheers, josch