Help with cross-satisfiability for binutils-sh-elf

Hi,

The initial upload of my package binutils-sh-elf [1] [2] is imminent,
so I thought I'd take a look at whether it is cross-buildable. It ought
to be very easy to cross build; I recall having done so successfully in
the past.

I'm trying to cross build for riscv64 from amd64 (I made a crossbuild-
essential-riscv64 of my own with equivs so I could proceed, since that
package doesn't exist). I ran
mk-build-deps --host-arch riscv64
to generate a metapackage for the cross build dependencies, but it
seems to not install:

 libc6-dev:riscv64 : Depends: linux-libc-dev:riscv64 but it is not installable

Now I wonder why it wants me to install libc6-dev:riscv64 and linux-
libc-dev:riscv64; shouldn't libc6-dev-riscv64-cross and linux-libc-dev-
riscv64-cross be sufficient? It seems libc6-dev:riscv64 is wanted
because of zlib1g-dev:riscv64, which is a build dependency of mine.

This is as far as I've gotten with my sleuthing. Any hints would be
appreciated.

[1] https://mentors.debian.net/package/binutils-sh-elf/
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/electronics-team/toolchains/binutils-sh-elf