Re: Request for help: slashem

Hi Nilesh,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 07:42:56PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> I am trying to make slashem cross-buildable.
> I did the following:
>
> * It was using the build
> arch's compiler, so I passed it to make in d/rules
>
> * Since it looks like upstream is dead(no new version since 2004), I mitigated uname -S for time
> being and passed the flags meant for unix system
>
> * Now this was failing with: "../win/gtk/gtkgetlin.c:12:10: fatal error:
> gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory" error, so I suspected pkg-config
> is at fault.
> So I went ahead and attempted to not pass hard-coded
> pkg-config. However, even after this change it ends up with:
>
> Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
> No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
> In file included from ../win/gtk/gtk.c:19:
> ../include/winGTK.h:8:10: fatal error: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
>     8 | #include <gtk/gtk.h>
>       |          ^~~~~~~~~~~
>
> which looks weird. and this is where I'm stuck for now. I'm attaching my
> patch with this e-mail. Please consider taking a look, any help is appreciated.

All of what you write seems right. You made pkg-config substitutable,
but you did not supply a substitution for PKG_CONFIG. You do not use
dh_auto_build (which would pass it). You do not explicitly pass
PKG_CONFIG=... to make. You do not export PKG_CONFIG explicitly. You do
not let dpkg's buildtools.mk export PKG_CONFIG by setting
DPKG_EXPORT_BUILDTOOLS=nonempty. As a consequence, yes it is using the
build architecture pkg-config.

I think the simplest of all would be using dh_auto_build.

Helmut