Re: C-SKY Debian port

On 2019-04-20 17:05 +0100, james dawson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I mentioned on #debian-bootstrap that I'm starting work on a C-SKY Architecture
> Debian Port.
>
> It would be great if I could get some help/assistance from some people with
> more experience in porting Debian.

I'm very short of tuits at the moment (major house renovation and
extinction rebellion ongoing), but have plenty of experience of this,
so happy to provide pointers.

It used to be the case that a port is only about 10% actually porting
- the other 90% was making things cross-build, dealing with dependency
loops and ordering issues, and other hassles like not having
hardware/qemu for a very new arch.

Our efforts over the last few years to add mechanisms to deal with the
dependency loops and make crossbuilding work much better have made
this a lot better in thoery, and Helmut's rebootstrap tool has made it
much better in practice by automating much of the manual work.

So in general the advice is 'run rebootstrap' and fix things that
break, filing patches/bugs as you go. That should get you a
debootstrappable image after quite a lot of work. The fixes for any
new arch are much the same as other arches. First you need a working
toolchain, then you need a working cross-toolchain (and libc, and
kernel headers). Then there is a set of packages that need 'and arch
FOO' adding to their config.

Looking at the list of bugs for previous ports will tell you which ones they might be:
https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64ilp32Port#line-44
https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64Port#line-361

If you give more details of where you are at we could be more specific.

HTH

Wookey
http://wookware.org/