Re: The state of cross building

+++ Helmut Grohne [2016-02-02 20:40 +0100]:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 11:39:50AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > I see these haven't entered testing because:
> >
> > * 183 days old (needed 5 days)
> > * crossbuild-essential-arm64/amd64 unsatisfiable Depends: libc6-dev:arm64
> > * crossbuild-essential-armel/amd64 unsatisfiable Depends: libc6-dev:armel
> > * crossbuild-essential-armhf/amd64 unsatisfiable Depends: libc6-dev:armhf
> > * Invalidated by dependency
> > * Not considered
> > * Depends: build-essential dpkg-cross
> >
> > Am I right in thinking this is because of how the testing scripts
> > work; is this something that is likely to be fixed in the future, or
> > is crossbuild-essential-* something that is only intended for unstable
> > and never for testing/stable?

We do want to get these into stretch so that stable has a working cross-build setup.

> As far as I can tell, there is nothing that would make these packages
> unfit for release in principle. However, there currently are unsolved
> problems that prevent them from transitioning to testing.
>
> The crossbuild-essential-* packages use cross-architecture dependencies.
> This is a rarely used feature and it is not currently supported by
> britney. Thus these packages cannot transition before britney is
> changed. I am not aware of anyone working on this problem. Adding this
> feature to britney could also help with #807312.
>
> The crossbuild-essential-* packages depend on dpkg-cross, which
> currently is RC-buggy and not part of jessie or stretch and thus also
> blocking the migration. The dpkg-cross tool is used to convert
> architecture-dependent library packages into architecture-independent
> packages for use in a pre-multiarch era. It happens to also contain
> config.site files, that provide check results to autotool's configure.
> The latter is the reason for this dependency.

I've just finished a project so plan to spend some time fixing stuff
like this which is blocking cross-building in stretch. I plan to
either fix dpkg-cross or (better), move the still-useful parts into a
'cross-support' package. Of course I'm happy if someone beats me to it
:-)

> It seems like these check results should find a new home, but it is not
> clear that keeping them in a central place is a good long-term solution.
> It also seems that every cross distribution has its own way of
> maintaining these, which is sad. I have some ideas floating for
> improving, but I put my work on hold to better understand the
> requirements. In order to get a better understanding, I am maintaining
> these check results on a per-package granularity for rebootstrap[1].
>
> Personally, I am hoping for a future where packages that are being
> checked ship these check results.

As you know I agree that this is probably better, but I still think
it's worth making what we currently have at least be shippable.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/