Re: Cross-building Debian packages with --sysroot

On 10/12/2016 08:05 AM, John Morris wrote:
On 10/12/2016 01:57 AM, Helmut Grohne wrote:
This is not fleshed out and I'm not convinced that supporting sysroots
is worth the effort, but moving to an environment variable sounds like a
strict improvement.

I'll defer to you on the value of sysroots.  From my position, this
looks like a simple change to support a real use case, but I definitely
don't have the big picture.  Just let me know if this feature is
unwelcome after considering my arguments, and I won't press the matter.

After more exploration while implementing `$DPKG_ROOT`, I don't think this is worth the effort either.

A number of packages make absolute symlinks from `/usr/lib/$MULTIARCH/libfoo.so` to `/lib/$MULTIARCH/libfoo.so.0` that break linkers and package tools, and adjusting these manually as my scripts do isn't a general solution.

Then, my original patches are incomplete: I started looking at each occurrance of `$lib` to determine whether or not it should be prefixed with `$DPKG_ROOT`. As I have found, those lead down other rabbit holes.

There must be some way to address these problems, but I'd need time to learn about the Debian packaging process. Rather, unless overwhelming enthusiasm for this functionality magically appears, I'll just wrap this up. Thanks-

	John