Re: Using perl to build perl

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 04:49:46PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> I presume that once all of this is done, debhelper can then depend on
> "perl | perl-stage1", which would allow the normal perl packages to
> build-depend on debhelper.

This all seems unnecessary nowadays.  debhelper is Multi-Arch: foreign,
so when you're doing the initial stages of cross-building a new port you
could surely just use the perl from the architecture you're building
from.  Of course this implies having all the necessary cross support,
but I don't think that having a stage1 perl for the sake of debhelper,
or avoiding debhelper in perl's own packaging, helps anything.

(This was all doubtless entirely different pre-multiarch; I'm not
criticising decisions made back then.)