Re: perl multiarch status

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 03:55:25PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> There was a lot of discussion about the perl packaging and multiarch
> over the last couple of years. I'm not quite sure what the current
> state and best practice advice is. Is it written down somewhere? (I
> didn't see anything relevant at https://wiki.debian.org)
>
> Hence I am not quite sure what the best advice for the tex maintainer
> (below) is, who is wrestling with making tex multiarch-friendly.

The perl package itself has been M-A:allowed for a while (even in stable),
so depending on perl:any for running (at least simple?) #!/usr/bin/perl
scripts should work AFAICS. That hopefully covers the tex case in #792281.

The 5.22 perl packages in experimental (and hopefully soon in sid) have
a M-A:same libperl with the full standard library, which I think could
at least make cross building Perl module packages possible/easier.

There are no provisions yet for allowing arch:any Perl modules ("XS
modules") to become M-A:same, because of the "interpreter issue." [1]
Also, I don't think anybody knows if we should start marking arch:all
Perl module packages M-A:foreign so we haven't.

Hope this is useful to someone. I don't intend to drive further
development in this area myself but I'm certainly open to
suggestions/recommendations of how to get it all better/right.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/HelmutGrohne/MultiarchSpecChanges#Interpreter_issue
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org