Re: Debian Consulting

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com> said:
>
> > Given the absolutely vast superiority of the Debian Linux OS
> > over RedHat, one is led to ask, why can't we make up for the dollars
> > with users?
>
> 	The dot com bubble bust should have taught us that users do
>  not translate directly into oodles of cash?

Surely you don't think that users do not recommend the good products
they use?  Nothing translates into dollars, and no one is suggesting a
profit motive as an end here.

> > The answer is, I believe, that we don't care.  Not
>
> 	Quite. The idea is libre software, and freedom to do what we
>  will, not making money hand over foot.

Who suggested "making money hand over foot"?

> > enough of us do, anyway.  I do, you do, but most debian developers
> > have no idea what possible value a larger user base and proactive
> > marketing effort could have for them.  What's even sadder than that?
>
> 	Why don't you enlighten us poor besotten sods, then?

Why don't you read the entire email, developer.

> > The people who understand that Debian's future is at stake don't
> > care enough to beat it through the skulls of the lemmings.
>
> 	Debian's future depends on making money? How have we survived
>  so far? Also, do you realize that these lemmings are the ones who are
>  creating this OS?
>
> 	manoj, another lemming

Who is at least now talking about promoting debian.

-Rich

--
Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678