Re: status of debian-consultants mailing list

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 05:04:15AM -0400, cameron@clueinc.net wrote:

> > > *boggle*
> > >

> umm... whatever.  let's lose the unnecessary *emphasis* and stay polite.

Actually those asterisks were used to indicate the emotion. You know, like
"::smile::" or "<stare>" or "*boggle*".

> > > In fact, I speculate it's less than that, because due to the way the list
> > > was configured I believe it was once used by the consultants web page
> > > maintainers to auto-subscribe people who sent them information about their
> > > consulting business. This was later abolished.
>
> so reconfigure it.  oh, wait, you already did.  so i'll assume that the
> problem is not that the list is no longer being used as originally
> configured, but that there is some new and hopefully more interesting
> problem justifying removal.  please explain.

The reason is that nobody is actually using it for its stated purpose.
I thought I already said that... :)

> i really wish i'd followed up on my earlier posts, but frankly, i've been
> too busy billing clients for DEBIAN CONSULTING to take the time.

Well, yeah, that's part of the problem. People are too busy doing stuff to
be talking about it. This is a good thing if you look at it, really.

> once again, dropping debian-consultants isn't going to be a major news
> item indicating the death of debian as a serious platform, but also it
> wouldn't exactly be a step forward.  to bring it back down to the level of
> what we're really discussing, this is about killing a communications
> channel for a group of people.  some people apparently think it sucks
> enough to kill outright.  some are desperately in love with it.  more
> reasonable voices think you should minimally give some of us a little time
> to organize the worthwhile participants into a body and move them to
> another venue.  could take a while.  maybe a months to really get a
> community moving.  we'd appreciate your support.

And you've got it. I'm simply saying that you guys need to... you need to
"deliver" already. :)

> anyway, i think it should be clear that substantive and productive
> discussion is quite possible here, even if most of us presently require
> a little more provocation than usual to pull us out.

Right. Please consider yourselves provoked.

> > > I'm afraid you've got a bigger issue than that -- I'm proposing this in my
> > > capacity as one of listmaster@lists.debian.org >:)
> >
> > If you choose to use your perceived autocratic right to remove the list,
> > then please also remove my address so that it will not be re-used at a
> > future date on any new lists, where unlike this one, I may not chose
> > to subscribe.
>
> wow.  i'm not sure what to say to that.  generally speaking, i think
> that falls into the category of "them's fight'n words," on the last two
> sides at least.

Now, how's that for provocation?

Seriously though, move along people, nothing to see here... but please don't
forget about the list altogether in a month's time.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.