Re: Debian Professionals Association, last try

"I. Forbes" wrote:

> Hello Lalo
>
> On 17 Mar 99, at 12:31, Lalo Martins wrote:
>
> > > I see the "Debian Professionals Association" as an association of
> > > people who earn their living deploying Debian.  Perhaps the only
> > > requirement for membership should be that the members spend a
> > > certain minimum portion (25% ?) of their paid working
> > > day/week/month deploying Debian.  We could also have student
> > > members for students who work with Debian - unpaid.
> >
> > Hmm I disagree. The idea was "an association of people who earn
> > their living from a work that depends on Debian"; suggested
> > areas of membership till now are, besides consulting: teaching,
> > and administrating (as in, the sysadmin of a site that uses
> > Debian internally for some important task).
>
> No, I think we agree on the idea.  Just the word "deploy" should be
> replaced with something that encompasses the wider meaning.
>
> I am not sure if the membership should extend to people who "use"
> Debian to do their work - like graphic artists, word processor
> operators and html designers - but who's main area of skill is
> independent of Debian.  Or we may want a different grade of
> membership for these people.

We already have a category for people who "use" Debian in their line of work
(Hint: many of
them subscribe to debian-user@lists.debian.org :)

Personally, I see no reason why the Debian Professionals should be anything
other than
a group of people who are IT professionals that have a solid background with
Debian.
(i.e.. We are not about Debian users but, rather *for* Debian users.)

> > > Later we can work out a system of verifying the claims and posting
> > > proof of that verification on the database.
> >
> > Some consultants on the list seem to think a certification would
> > be very important; as the job of an association is to provide
> > benefit for its members, then (if (benefit? certification)
> > (create certification-process)).
> >
> > For teachers, I can assure you that an "official" set of
> > debianpro curricula (with titles, like "basic Debian course",
> > "Debian-based network administration course", etc) is definitely
> > a benefit, and is the closest thing to certification that is
> > important for us - saying "my courses follows the official
> > debianpro curricula". A teacher certification process would be
> > another added bonus, but less important (eg can be left for
> > later).

I've been looking at this aspect for the past few days.  The DDP project has
primarily three
categories: users, administrators and developers.  The official curricula could
use that as a starting
point - we teach users, administrators and developers.

I agree with the previous posts that debianpro is independent of the debian
project, however
the debian project does have several facets and one of those is the DDP.  We
should endeavor
to include as many aspects of the Debian project as possible, therefore aligning
our curricula
with the DDP seems reasonable.  Not to mention, the Debian Tutorial and the
Users Guide are
very well written works.

So initial certification of the curricula would be easy.  How we determine who
is competent to
teach that curricula is another  matter...