Preliminary Debian packaging for Clozure Common Lisp (ccl.clozure.com)

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your response. Feedback from members of Debian's Common Lisp
team is always helpful.

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Christoph Egger wrote:

> Hi!
>
>  Please Send any mail also directly to me if you're interested in my
> Input as I'm not reading -mentors regularly and pkg-common-lisp-devel@
> is -- it appears -- not getting enough of my attention to see your
> messages in time.

Ok, I'll do that.

> Faheem Mitha <faheem at faheem.info> writes:
>> 1) I'd like to take over the outstanding ITP for CCL (#609047,
>> cc'd). I've written to Darren Ho, the creator of this ITP, on 1st July
>> 2012, (see http://bugs.debian.org/609047), but have not yet received a
>> reply. What else do I need to do, if anything?
>
>  Send a mail to the bug report explaining that you'll take over and set
> yourself as the owner of the bug.

Done.

>> I guess I need to get a sponsor at some point. When should this happen?
>
>  It needs to be done once you have a package ready on mentors.debian.net

Ok. I should be able to upload to mentors soon.

>> 2) The main outstanding issue is how to handle the bootstrapping
>> issue, namely that CCL is not in Debian, but requires CCL to compile.
>
>  For sbcl I do bootstrapping with a crossbuild from another
> architecture .. building just a non-packaged version and using that to
> bring up the package. Once there is a version in the archive everything
> works automatically. So ideally I can build the first package with a
> locally installed ccl (e.g. in /usr/local/bin, ..). sbcl's debian/rules
> has some magic now to do this (and the last commit is totally messed up
> :-(

Could one just use upstream binaries instead? CCL has upstream binaries
available, which I use to initially build my Debian package, for at least
i386 and amd64. My package currently does not attempt to build on any
other architecture, because I can't test it.

>  I guess bootstrapping only needs to be done once and later versions of
> ccl can be built using the version that is then included in Debian?

Well this is precisely my question to the CCL developers. So far, I have
not got a response. See the thread
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.openmcl.devel/8046

I'm copied you on my most recent message to that thread. If you don't want
me to CC you, let me know.

>> 3) My current package description for the package is
>> 4) Debian requires a copyright statement, which is located in the
>> "copyright" file in the repository. On installation it is installed in
>> /usr/share/doc/pkgname/copyright. Here is the current text, taken from
>> the openmcl package that was in Debian a few years ago.

>> ###################################################################
>> OpenMCL is licensed under ...
> CCL?

I've fixed that. Thanks.

As mentioned elsewhere, my Debian CCL packaging is at
https://bitbucket.org/faheem/ccl-debian

You may want to glance at
https://bitbucket.org/faheem/ccl-debian/src/tip/README.source which goes
into some detail about my current build strategy.

                                                          Regards, Faheem