/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/ not in asdf:*central-registry*

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Peter Van Eynde <pvaneynd at mailworks.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> [context: the newest clc does not longer add
> ?/usr/share/common-lisp/systems to asdf:*central-registry*]
>
> Desmond O. Chang wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:40 AM, Luca Capello <luca at pca.it> wrote:
>>> I still consider this a regression, since previous behavior is horribly
>>> broken, also with respect upstream "assumptions", e.g. StumpWM manual
>>> creation:
>>
>> Agreed. I think /usr/share/common-lisp/systems should be considered as
>> the default location of asdf:*central-registry* in debian. Some upstreams
>> need asdf to load libraries, and so does slime's load-system command.
>
> One of the major criticisms of clc and Lisp on Debian in general is that
> it 'breaks' installing your own packages.
>
> I tried to educate people about clc-register-user-package, but the
> complains remained.
>
> So I thought to reduce the footprint of clc in the normal images so that
> ?the breaking would not occur.
>
> My plan was then to have a debian port of clbuild that would install the
> ?packages in /usr/local/common-lisp/<foo> and add
> /usr/local/common-lisp/systems as a place for systems in clc. Thus still
> having the packages and the clc control.
>
> Maybe I was listening to a vocal minority... What do others think?
> Should I add /usr/share/common-lisp/systems again to
> asdf:*central-registry* in all Debian CL implementations?
>
> Groetjes, Peter

I like the idea of a Debianized clbuild that works with
Debian-installed packages.  I've tried clbuild in order to gain access
to the packages that are not in Debian or for which I want more recent
versions.  My attempts have failed because I couldn't get clbuild and
clc reconciled to each other.  With the removal of many Debian lisp
packages this is more important.

Is the problem here that there is a transitional period in moving over
to /usr/local/common-lisp/systems from /usr/share/common-lisp/systems,
so that things temporarily appear missing?  Can the directories be
temporarily soft linked to make things work?

Liam