Automatic commit mails for darcs repositories

Hi all!

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 02:19:07 +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
> I investigate how to have automatic commit mails for darcs:
[...]
> 2) set up the automatic commit mail to the PTS [6]
>
>    alioth:/darcs/pkg-common-lisp/rfc2388.upstream$ cat >_darcs/prefs/defaults
>    apply run-posthook
>    apply posthook TO=rfc2388_cvs at packages.qa.debian.org PROJECT=pkg-common-lisp \
>     REPO_NAME=rfc2388.upstream /home/users/gismo/bin/darcs-email-changelog.sh
>
>    Since pkg-common-lisp-commits@ still exists [7], if you subscribe
>    this mailing list to the PTS (keyword 'cvs' only, please), as soon as
>    one of the mailing list administrator has confirmed the subscription
>    the list will receive the automatic commit mail as well.

For git repositories, the Debian wiki [1] suggests a different approach:
the main recipient is the -commits list and the PTS (optional) is
bcc:ed.

I never thought about this setup before and I should say that it's
better than mine:

- no need to subscribed the -commits list to the PTS for each source
  package

- if someone wants every commit mail (hint: the team administrators...)
  she/he subscribes to the -commits list

- if someone wants the commit mails only for a specific package, she/he
  subscribes to the PTS for the given package

The script at /home/users/gismo/bin/darcs-email-changelog.sh was updated
to support this option through the $BCC variable.

I added a small ToDo list to the script comments: 1) manage the
variables through _darcs/third_party/email-changelog and 2) rewrite the
script in a way similar to git/contrib/hooks/post-receive-email.

FWIW, I'm going to change rfc2388.upstream behavior in the next days, if no
one replies.

BTW, all these informations should be collected in a 'cl-debian-policy'
package, help appreciated!

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes: