pkg-common-lisp.alioth.debian.org is born!

Hi all!

Cc:ing all the people invoveld in Common Lisp work on Debian, sorry if
you receive this mail in double.  Please respect the Reply-To: and

Finally, my proposal to going to common maintenance [1] comes to life:
pkg-common-lisp has been created on Alioth [2].  Let's have fun!

What's done:

1) inserted the project into the Alioth tree:

     * Development Status: 6 - Mature
     * Environment: Console (Text Based)
     * Intended Audience: Developers
     * License: OSI Approved
     * Operating System: POSIX
     * Programming Language: Lisp
     * Topic: Packaging

2) added old members of the CL-Debian project.  If someone wants to be
   added, she/he can file a request on the Alioth project page [2] or
   drop me a mail.

4) created the -commits mailing list: this will be close to everyone but
   mails coming from alioth.debian.org, since I guess this should be the
   envelop for automatic commit mails for every VCS (this setup should
   be tested, however).

5) created the -devel mailing list, whose purpose is duplex: being in
   the Maintainer: debian/control field for every package which is
   co-maintained and being the official list for the team (thus
   super-seedingl-debian at common-lisp.net).  While in the beginning I
   thought to migrate the cl-debian@ archives as well, I don't think
   it's a good idea anymore, so I'll do it only if someone asks for it.

   FYI, this mail has been posted primarily on the -devel mailing list,
   please reply there (R-T and M-F-T accordingly set).

6) moved the CL-Debian Alioth homepage [3] to the new project [4],
   adapting it for the new mailing list and goals, thus removing its
   "darcs-centrism".  There's space for improvements ;-)

   I voluntarily omitted information about the old "central" darcs
   repository in the new homepage, because as for the mailing list, the
   sooner we move, the better is.  For this reason, the old homepage [3]
   now automatically redirects to the new homepage [4].

The next steps are the following: some of them will be managed soon
after this mail.

7) migrate everyone subscribed to cl-debian@ to the new -devel mailing
   list, to promote the latter.  In 2 weeks at last the old cl-debian@
   will be closed.  Is this kind enough to the cl-debian@ subscribers?
   I'm all for it, because there's no point in having two mailing list:
   the sooner the new one is used, the better is.

8) since the VCS poll [5] ended with no real decisions,
   pkg-common-lisp's supported VCSs ATM are, in alphabetical order: bzr,
   darcs, git and hg.  Directories for these VCSs already exists on
   Alioth: you can migrate your packages, but please follow the
   instructions on the Debian Wiki [6] and the ones described below.

   If people state which package can be co-maintained, everyone in the
   project can migrate that package.  This means that the debian/ folder
   needs to be adjusted:

   a- debian/changelog:

      add a note about the new maintainer

   b- debian/control

      Maintainer: Debian Common Lisp Team <pkg-common-lisp-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
      Uploaders: [who usually take care of the package and the sponsor(s)]

   c- debian/copyright

      it should reflect the Uploaders: debian/control field, at least
      for the Debian-related work.

   Please send a mail to this list as soon as a package migration is
   completed.

   About the debian/ folder, which reflects the Debian work done on the
   package: I'm in favor of clearly add copyright and license
   information in the debian/copyright file (as I do for all my
   packages, e.g. [7]).  I'd like that the team agrees on a single
   license for the Debian work (my preference is always for GPL...), but
   it it's considered too much a pain we'll continue with the status
   quo.

9) do we need some other Alioth features, like the tracker, news, task
   manager or forum?  I prefer to keep as simple as possible:

   - the -devel mailing list for discussion

   - the Debian BTS [8] for all bugs/wishlists

   Maybe we should enable the tracker if we want project's problems to
   be monitored by other than the Debian BTS [8].  However, about this
   issue, I'm in favor of a Debian cl-debian (meta)package, which would
   combines this project with a "basic" Common Lisp installation on
   Debian.  This is a very new idea, thus it needs a bit more reflexion.

I'm eager of anyone comments :-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes: