Re: Next team meeting: 2023-02-08 20:00 UTC

Hello,

Here are my notes from today's discussion.

Future of cloud boot
--------------------

The team discussed some possible future plans for moving away from grub
during the next release cycle.  systemd-boot is attractive, but there
are two outstanding issues:
1) currently, it isn't signed for secure boot.
2) would we deprecate bios instances, or support multiple ways to boot?

Bastian mentioned he saw some recent chatter about signing systemd-boot,
and said he'd look into it.

Deprecating bios boot entirely seems unlikely - some older AWS instances
do not support EFI, including ones which are in the free tier.  So we
may look into syslinux instead to be able to move off of grub.

Hosting setup
-------------

We discussed some plans for a way to host VMs for the project.  The
mirror team needed some systems, and we're going to use this as a proof
of concept to test a simple, repeatable hosting setup for the project.

Switch to gp3 on AWS?

We discussed whether or not our AWS images should switch their default
block storage to gp3.  adopt the latest generation of block storage from
AWS, called gp3.  Noah will confirm whether or not gpt3 is available on
the free tier.

Currently, they default to gp2, the previous generation.  Of course
users can override this when they launch a new VM.

Ross