Re: Cloud team plans for cloud-hosted mirrors

Hi Julien

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 07:58:23PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> I think we (DSA) have been reluctant to add new third-party-run services
> under debian.org,

Just being curious: what is your definition of "third-party-run"?  As
example: deb.debian.org.  It uses Fastly, which is shared
responsibility.  It is run by someone else but provides a product that
Debian configures.  But where would be the limit?

>                   and it's not clear to me if that infrastructure would
> be run by the cloud team on behalf of debian, or if the cloud team would
> control the names but point them at mirrors run by the cloud providers
> themselves.

I doubt that there will be any reason for us to point Debian names to
mirrors the provider controls.

There is one provider providing it's own mirrors: Hetzner.  They use an
already existing mechanism to configure the mirror to their own if not
overriden by the user.  So there is no name controlled by Debian
required.

The whole reason for this stunt is to protect Debian.  Protect Debian
and it's users from screwups by
- the providers themselves,
- a laps in the agreement that currently provides access to Debian
  mirrors on Azure and AWS and
- single Debian developers controlling resources.

Bastian

--
I've already got a female to worry about.  Her name is the Enterprise.
		-- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0