Re: which tool should I use to customize a vm ?

On 5/30/22 14:47, PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel wrote:
Hello, I think that  this question was resolved a long time ago, but I did not found an answer from the cloud team.

I need to create a bunch of vm image for an openstack instance. In this images, we need to install a bunch of software, Debian packages, pure binary packages, and does some customisation of the configuration for these packages.
So I would like to know which tool should be use for this purpose.

thanks for your consideration and I am sorry if this question has already a definitive answer :)

Cheers

Frederic

Hi Frederic,

There's absolutely no definitive answer, building an image is quite an easy thing to do if you understand the topic well enough, and there are myriads of tools for it. So let me just point you to what I did myself and extensively used (which is obviously biased).

You may want to give a try to:
https://packages.debian.org/openstack-debian-images

That's not the tool used by the debian-cloud team anymore, but it was used for at least 3 releases of Debian in the past. It's controlled fully on the command line, it's just a simple (not-so-long) script shell, so it's easy to customize. There's also a hook for it (see the end of the man page for that).

These days, I use it mostly for setting-up bare-metal servers, but it's perfectly valid for building images. I use it also for automating the process of building images for Octavia and Manila.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: I wouldn't recommend at all using d-i in this process, neither re-using a customized OpenStack VM snapshot which will be tainted.