Re: manage_etc_hosts: true

Hi Noah,

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 06:24:15AM -0700, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> I agree that it would have been nice to get more of a concensus on this
> approach before moving forward with this solution.  This change does
> fix issues that users have encountered, so it may be reasonable, but I'm
> not sure.  I do know that the AWS AMIs don't set manage_etc_hosts: true
> and have never encountered the issues that prompted this change for
> OpenStack.  What's different?  Why does this change make sense in
> OpenStack and not elsewhere?

I was curious, so I booted up a buster instance on ec2 to track this down.
cloud-init does manage /etc/hosts, due to this:
https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/-/blob/master/config_space/files/etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/01_debian_cloud.cfg/EC2#L2

So I think zigo's approach seems reasonable.  Bastian - can you explain or
point to the discussion on why this would be controversial?

Thanks,
Ross