Where to upload the Octavia image for Bullseye? Should I continue within the team?

Hi there,

I took some time off the team, to think a little bit about what to do
next, and not react out of anger. I believe I passed that period since a
long time already (months? years?), and it is with a lot of zen that I'm
writing these words.

Since Waldi, unilaterally, decided to close again the Octavia image
patch for a 2nd time (for new reasons he didn't tell since we met
Boston... yeah, just a new reason he found out!), I wonder where the
cloud team would advise that I upload my work. It doesn't seem that
anyone cared that it happened a 2nd time, and in fact, I wouldn't be
surprised if the majority discovers this when reading this message.

I probably should just leave the team, and do my work on an unofficial
debian.net domain. It probably will be a lot more restful, and I'll be
free to do what I want. This feels bitter to write I should move to a
debian.net, knowing that I was the first person in Debian building cloud
images, and that I've been doing so for the last 3 releases. Then, will
I still have the rights to call the then generated images "official"?
Please let me know, that's important for me. I don't think I'm left with
many options. The more I think about it, the more it feels like that's
the easy path for me.

I'm also thinking about continuing to generate my own OpenStack images
on my own (not only the Octavia ones), as I am strongly in the opinion
that everything is becoming *A WAY* over-engineer in the current images,
to the point that the Python code of the team has became unreadable.
Just look at the numbers. We're up to:
- 68 .py files
- 5k lines of python
- 93 files in the config_space folder, so having cryptic content
- I haven't dug into FAI, but itself it's ... big! 254 files...

Compare this to the simplicity of just a single shell script of 2k
lines, out of which 500 is just argument parsing, and another 645 are
there to just handle weirdo networking for bare metal installation...
(so basically, 800 lines of shell script).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what the team has done isn't good.
Just simply that I don't see myself doing more as:
- the tooling isn't fit for me (or the other way around)
- some of the things I've proposed are just plainly rejected
- there's still no feature parity and I have no time to invest
- I do not want to deal with the aggressive take over and unilateral
decision from other team members anymore
- I don't feel like spending a single second explaining things again is
worse of my (precious) time that I'd rather spend with my kids, or doing
more constructive stuff

I also increasingly distrust that this team is going on the direction of
promoting free software, and free cloud. I'm not sure why the word
OpenStack seems completely banned from our team. Just a simple fact
probably will make the team think a little bit in what kind of mindset I
am. If you grep "openstack" on our debian-cloud-images (master), here's
what you get:

debian-cloud-images (master)$ grep -r -i openstack *
debian/control:  * OpenStack
doc/details.md:Example 2 genericcloud (OpenStack):

The first entry where it's written "OpenStack", is useless because the
package is gone from Bullseye. Is the 2nd one published anywhere? We're
gone from a "cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/openstack" to a thing called
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/cloud where the word "OpenStack" is
never even mentioned anywhere. OpenStack is *not* a swear word. It's ok
to call our OpenStack images the way they should...

Our Debian users do not understand it, and I have to (very often)
explain on IRC... An occurrence of this explanation happened just today,
and that pushed me to write this mail.

What should I do for Bullseye? Ask Steve to continue to generate "my"
OpenStack images so they stay in the debian.org domain, and maybe add
images for appliances like Octavia? Or open a new debian.net hostname,
and do it unofficially? Or generate only unofficial Octavia images? As
Bullseye is coming, I'm leaning toward doing everything by my own.

Your thoughts? Nothing is written into a stone yet, I will try (again)
to listen to advice, as I really feel lost in the team at the moment.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)