Re: Best way to build a Singularity image from a cloud.d.o image ?

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 at 17:39, Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 09:53:52AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > I am used to start building Singularity (https://sylabs.io/) images
> > starting from Docker images, but the Debian images on Docker have not
> > been updated for a while...
>
> The Docker images should be actively maintained.  CCing tianon, who
> should be able to provide more details there.  It may simply be a case
> of him being on vacation this time of year.

Heh, I guess we have somewhat different interpretations of "a while" :)

The images on Docker Hub (https://hub.docker.com/_/debian) were last
updated ~24 days ago.  We try to refresh them every ~30 days or when
there's a major security issue / stable release that warrants an
earlier rebuild.

We don't rebuild them more often than that because the downstream
effect is really large every time, due to the way image build cache
works, so ~30 days is the compromise we came up with to try and ensure
the images are reasonably fresh.

♥,
- Tianon
  4096R / B42F 6819 007F 00F8 8E36  4FD4 036A 9C25 BF35 7DD4