Re: bullseye64 Vagrant libvirt does not use predictable network names

On 5/14/21 1:33 PM, votdev@gmx.de wrote:
Hi,
i noticed that the bullseye64 Vagrant libvirt box does not use predictable network interface names. It is explicitely disabled with 'net.ifnames=0 biosdevnames=0' in the grub configuration. Is there a special reason doing this? The buster64 libvirt box has predictable names by default. Nowadays non-predictable device names should be used anymore IMO. So i'm wondering why this step back is done in the bullseye64 box.
Regards
Volker

Hi Volker
Thanks for your interest for Vagrant boxes.
Yes the bullseye boxes use the  ethX scheme.
The reason for that is that we build the same disk image for multiple hypervisors (kvm vs virtualbox) and kvm/virtualbox assign the NIC to a different position on the PCI bus, which means we cannot configure the network beforehand since we don't know what will bethe device name.

There is code in the git repo (hey Noah !) to handle that situation, which injects a ifupdown snippet for every detected NIC via udev, which is then configured by DHCP. But unfortunately this conflicts when Vagrant is assigning static IP adresses to extra NICs (see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=982356)

So in the end we had to revert back to the ethX network schemes as the lesser evil, so that the multiple Vagrant network modes work.

Emmanuel

--
You know an upstream is nice when they even accept m68k patches.
  - John Paul Adrian Glaubitz, Debian OpenJDK maintainer