Re: improving documenation

On 4/28/21 6:56 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:
Hi Thomas

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 09:53:02AM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
I've created a proposal for updating the header seen in
https://cloud.debian.org/cdimage/cloud/
You can see it here
https://public.cs.uni-koeln.de/lange/images-cloud-HEADER.html
Any comments welcome.

We don't readlly provide GCE images.  Some might show up, but we don't
want to advertise that.

We should not so much talk about OpenStack.  The generic types can be
and are used much wieder, like in Digital Ocean.  OpenStack is just one
of the targets.  Maybe "All virtualized and non-virtualized platforms
compatible with cloud-init, like OpenStack and DigitalOcean"

generic, genericcloud: "Includes cloud-init"

Yes this is important, my take:

generic: should run in any environment using cloud-init
genericcloud: should run in any virtualized environment using cloud-init (like OpenStack) It's smaller than generic ...

Thanks Thomas for bringing that, as the question to what the images correspond popped up regularly. I hope we're not bike-shedding you too much with text suggestions.

I am currently playing around with OpenShift Virtualization, which is a Kubernetes based virtualization platform with cloud-init( based on Kubevirt), I am looking forward to test genericcloud on it, and will report how it works

Emmanuel
--
You know an upstream is nice when they even accept m68k patches.
  - John Paul Adrian Glaubitz, Debian OpenJDK maintainer