Acceptable kernels

I ask, because I assume you all have solved this problem:

I have been building my own AMI for use at AWS because reasons.
However, in order to make my images acceptable, I end up having to
install the linux-image-3.16.0-.. image from Debian 8 (I think?). Any
other kernel I use produces a rejection from amazon's image-import.

This document:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vm-import/latest/userguide/vmie_prereqs.html#vmimport-operating-systems

Clearly indicates that they do not support any version of debian
greater than 8.0, and they seem to mean it. As I mentioned, I've
worked around this by uploading with an old kernel as the default, and
then upgrading after.

Clearly the official Debian EC2 AMI is running the latest debian
kernel. I'm curious how that AMI gets uploaded, and if I'm missing a
trick.

Any tips?

-davidc

--