Re: Cloud metadata over a v6 only link

On 2020-09-02 19:55:41 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> We discussed it before, and I wasn't sure about the status of $subject
> in OpenStack. However, now I know. After this patch was merged (6 hours
> ago), OpenStack is now capable of providing instance metadata over IPv6:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/715482/
>
> This means that, in such case, having a v6 only capable image does make
> sense, at least for OpenStack. My take is that, sooner or later, we will
> have the same needs for other clouds, so it'd be nice if we could figure
> out how.
[...]

Not to downplay the importance of that addition (I agree the v4
linklocal only implementation was a problem, and the excuse that AWS
doesn't support metadata over IPv6 either was a poor one), but you
could already do v4-less instances and get metadata with
cloud-init, you just needed to set Nova to pass a configdrive (and
possibly also explicitly request one at instance creation).
--
Jeremy Stanley