Re: Debian Cloud Image not setting DNS resolvers on Rackspace Cloud

Hello Jeremy,

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction!

On 2020-05-29 15:07:10 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Isn't the DNS search thing coming from DHCP rather than cloud-init?

>>Last I checked, there's no dhcpd running in Rackspace's public cloud
networks, so cloud-init would be responsible for setting up DNS
resolution on server instances from services metadata entries in the
configdrive's network_data.json (or from Nova's metadata service).

That is correct; in Rackspace cloud, DNS is set 'automatically' via cloud-init and the config-drive's network-data.json on Ubuntu and the RHEL family distros (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS) using their stock Openstack images.

>> I have to wonder if this bug report could be relevant:

    https://launchpad.net/bugs/1850310

Yes, this comment appears to be most relevant: https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1850310/comments/2 . Based on my tests, adding the resolvconf package to the Debian 10 cloud image and rerunning cloud-init does resolve the issue (no pun intended!). In contrast, enabling systemd-resolve (which is already present on the image) does NOT fix the issue.

I've already marked myself as affected by the cloud-init bug in launchpad. Let us know if you are would consider adding the resolvconf package to your base cloud image. If not, I can engage the cloud-init project.

Thanks again for your help and have a great weekend!

Best,

Brian K
Cloud Virt Engineer III, RHCE
Rackspace Openstack Public Cloud

    CAUTION: This message originated externally, please use caution when clicking on links or opening attachments!

    CAUTION: This message originated externally, please use caution when clicking on links or opening attachments!