Re: branching the debian-cloud-config repository for stable support

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 11:41:55PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > Does this seem sane?  Any other ideas?
>
> Nope, it is not really.  The daily and release projects needs to use
> current tools, without it diverging between the branches.

I'm not sure I agree.  A lot of important details about the structure of
the image and how it's represented at the provider's service come from
tools, so the tools that build our stable releases need to stay stable.
Details like the image names and the list of FAI classes used to
generate the image come to mind.

> So we need to split tools and config space then and solve the
> compatibility problem on that level.

Where would you have the split?  Separate config_space from tools, and
have config_space be handled as separate (per branch) submodules?

noah