Re: lack of boot-time entropy on arm64 ec2 instances

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 01:22:30PM -0500, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> Our 5.4 kernel in sid does not suffer from a lack of entropy at boot on
> arm64 EC2 instances.  I guess it could be due to the "random: try to
> actively add entropy rather than passively wait for it" that tytso
> mentioned earlier.  I'm going to try to cherry-pick that into 4.19 and
> see if things speed up.  Since we're already running it in 5.4, I guess
> it's safe...

I've confirmed that 4.19.87 with changes cherry-picked from 50ee7529ec45
claims to have entropy at boot:

admin@ip-172-31-49-239:~$ cloud-init analyze blame
-- Boot Record 01 --
     02.88900s (init-network/config-ssh)

The change applies cleanly to our kernel tree, so this would appear to
be a possible solution.

I've opened https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=948519
against the kernel discuss the entropy issue in general, and will follow
up there with a proposal for getting this change backported.

noah