Re: Azure Buster image

On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 02:58:22PM +0200, Matteo Croce wrote:
> The official Debian Buster image breaks when upgrading to bullseye.
> GRUB fails like:
>
> error: symbol 'grub_file_filters' not found.
> Entering rescue mode...
> grub rescue>
>
> I see the error in the HyperV graphic console,
> I could probably recover it if only GRUB uses the serial for IO.

This is likely the same underlying issue as the one described in
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=966575  The issue is
likely that the MBR code on your instance was not updated with the grub
package upgrade due to block device differences between the environment
in which grub originally configured the drive MBRs and the environment
in which the upgrade ran.

The workaround would be to to use grub-install to write the updated MBR
code to the correct block device.  Naturally you need to do that before
you reboot.

If you've already rebooted and need to recover, you'd need to boot some
kind of recovery environment (possibly involving launching another VM
and attaching the relevant block device to it).

I don't know that there's anything we can do in the cloud images
specifically to help with this situation.

noah