Re: Publishing raw generic{,cloud} images without tar, and without compression, plus versionning of point releases

On Sat, 2020-06-06 at 12:06 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 10:13:43AM +1200, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> > That may be the case, but not all *backends* can use qcow2 images.
>
> Can you please show OpenStack documentation detailing this all?  I
> fail
> to find anything.  And if the documentation does not tell clearly, I
> have to assume that formats supported by the frontend can be properly
> converted in formats supported by the backend.

Sure. See:

https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/image/v2/index.html?expanded=create-image-detail#create-image

Under "disk_format", description is:

-- Begin --
The format of the disk.

Values may vary based on the configuration available in a particular
OpenStack cloud. See the Image Schema response from the cloud itself
for the valid values available.

Example formats are: ami, ari, aki, vhd, vhdx, vmdk, raw, qcow2, vdi,
ploop or iso.

The value might be null (JSON null data type).
-- End --

Those are examples, and it notes that the formats available are
configurable and none of them are specified as "must be available". The
CLI docs also have a similar note.

From:
https://docs.openstack.org/glance/ussuri/user/formats.html#disk-format

"Disk and container formats are configurable on a per-deployment
basis."

Please don't make assumptions. How can you know that the system you're
dealing with can make conversions?

> > On
> > our public and private OpenStack clouds we only work with raw
> > images.
> > We have to convert all qcow2 images.
>
> This reads to me like: "we disable qcow2 because we want to, so we
> need
> to convert first".

<blink>

How do you get that reading? When you read in context within the email
it reads as "we disable qcow2 because our backend only supports raw"
because that's what I said elsewhere in the email.

Regards,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand