Re: Debian VM Agent Issue

[ The original mail was sent to use privately ]

Hi Jared

On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 08:25:31AM +0200, Michael Amstadt wrote:
> I'm an engineer on the Labs Services team at Microsoft. From what I can tell here <https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/MicrosoftAzure>, Credativ is in charge of the Debian images you can find on the marketplace.  Apologies in advance if I'm talking to the wrong company.

You reached the right people.  However better suited would be the public
Debian list at debian-cloud@lists.debian.org.

> My team has customers that are having issues with the Debian 10 issue. When a user installs gnome on Debian 10, the Azure VM Agent dies, so we can no longer perform operations on the VM.
> Any idea why this may be occurring? I tested with XFCE, and it seemed to work just fine.

This is the result if incompatible dependencies in the agent and Gnome.
waagent for now requires ifupdown as the network implementation, as it
calls ifup and ifdown.  The Gnome meta-package wants to install
network-manager, which conflicts with ifupdown.

Sadly tasksel does not provide any warning that it is going to deinstall
packages.  So after the call to tasksel, waagent is not longer installed
and therefor not running.  You can install waagent again afterwards.

I don't see a solution right now within the currently existing
constraints of dependencies and recommendations, with the way tasksel
uses apt.

Regards,
Bastian

--