Re: Publishing raw generic{,cloud} images without tar, and without compression, plus versionning of point releases

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 11:26:40PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Currently, our scripts are generating files named for example:
> debian-11-genericcloud-amd64-daily-20200524-273.tar.xz

No, they generate this one:

http://cdimage.debian.org/images/cloud/sid/daily/20200524-273/debian-sid-generic-amd64-daily-20200524-273.qcow2

> The bigger the image is, the longer it will take to copy, which is an
> operation that OpenStack can do before spawning an instance.

And you setup instance types with < 2GB disks?  Otherwise OpenStack
needs to copy it anyway (and convert it in the process, it was a mess
the last time I looked into this).

> So I was wondering if we could:
> 1/ Make the resulting extracted disk smaller. That'd be done in FAI, and
> I have no idea how that would be done. Thomas, can you help, at least
> giving some pointers on how we could fix this?

Fix what?

> 2/ Published the raw disk directly without compression (together with
> its compressed form), so one can just point to it with Glance for
> downloading. BTW, I don't see the point of having a tarball around the
> compressed form, raw.xz is really enough, and would be nicer because
> then one can pipe the output of xz directly to the OpenStack client (I
> haven't checked, but I think that's maybe possible).

No.  Nothing in the download chain supports sparse files, so unwrapped
raw images are somewhat out of the question.

> One thing though: if I understand well, artifacts are first stored on
> Salsa, and currently, there's a size limit. What is the max size? If I'm
> not mistaking, it's 1GB max, right? If that's the case, then maybe
> that's a problem with the current 2GB decompressed disk.raw image.

It's 250MB.

> Another thing which bothers me, is that in our current publication,
> there's no way to tell what image is from which point release.

What is the significance of that?  We use stuff from security primarily,
so the point release don't show what might be in the image.

Bastian

--
Pain is a thing of the mind.  The mind can be controlled.
		-- Spock, "Operation -- Annihilate!" stardate 3287.2