Re: cloud-init should not depend on cloud-guest-utils anymore

On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 05:56:43PM -0800, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> > > So in case we'd be removing this dependency to satisfy your container
> > > use case (which is IMO very valid), we should carefully re-add a
> > > dependency on cloud-utils in our VM images.
> >
> > If I may add if it wasn't obvious with what I wrote: our VM images must
> > be changed *first* to include the new dependency, before we remove it
> > from the cloud-init package.
>
> +1 to the proposal to drop the dependency.  Let's drop it to Recommends,
> rather than removing it altogether, though.  And yes, we should update
> the debian-cloud-images FAI configuration to ensure that
> cloud-guest-utils is still installed in the environments where we're
> currently installing it.

Actually, in addition to reducing the relationship to Recommends in
cloud-init, we should also remove the cloud-guest-utils dependency on
e2fsprogs.  The growpart tool doesn't actually use any of its binaries.
Tools from the cloud-image-utils (same source package) do, so the
dependency is appropriate there.

noah