[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Contacting cloud team for hosting blends.debian.net [elbrus@debian.org: Re: Any sponsoring for a VM possible (Was: Rackspace ending free hosting for blends.debian.net)]

I think we have two more weeks, as the Rackspace billing cycle doesn't match the calendar.

Michael R. Crusoe
Co-founder & Lead,
Common Workflow Language project

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020, 20:59 Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 13:16:28 -0500, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 12:39:53PM +0000, Marcin Kulisz wrote:
> > I'd say in the worst case scenario you could host it on one of the old accounts
> > and then migrate it out to the final one if it's not ready right now.
> > Hopefully you've got this automated :-)
> The only reason the old account would be any easier is that we don't
> have any expectations that the resources there are provisioned with any
> sort of tooling/automation, so we wouldn't feel quite so guilty about
> doing things by hand.  It's... technically an option I guess. :)
> Bastian and I have talked a little bit about using Lightsail[1] within
> the new engineering account.  It doesn't require as much infrastructure
> to be set up (VPCs, subnets, route tables, security groups, etc), so it
> isn't blocked on us updating our terraform configuration to define all
> these resources.  Lightsail has a 4-core, 16 GB RAM, 320 GB SSD option
> that sounds good for this use case.
> There are a couple issues with Lightsail:
> Buster isn't available yet, so we'd need to start with a stretch
> instance and upgrade it.  Not a show-stopper, but it adds some work.
> No IPv6 support. (If you have an AWS account, please contact your TAM
> and request this.)

I admit I'm not educated about those technical details.  All I know is
that time for blends.debian.net is running out today.  A simple answer
like: "We can not provide any VM to replace blends.debian.net"  or  "We
could provide a VM in <time frame>"  would be helpful to let me decide
whether I need to do research in different direction or wait and hope.

Kind regards


> 1.  https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/


Reply to: