Re: Is Eucalyptus upstream dead?

On 2019-09-03 13:50:41, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2019 at 10:24:24AM +0100, kuLa wrote:
> > > on my side I would have no objections with a removal.
> >
> > Should we actively ask for removal or wait till normal bugs will become RC and
> > removal for all py2 packages is going to be compulsory?
> > I personally am ok with both.
>
> In my experience, early removal is preferable. It gives users an
> indication that they should be looking for alternatives now, while
> things are still reasonably safe to use. They can migrate in their own
> time frame. Whereas if we wait until a (possibly security related) RC
> bug, the transition is much more abrupt for the users.

I think above adheres to 'fail quickly' idea which I like,
In such case I think we should request removal of euca2ools from sid and
testing soon.

> The big question to me is whether the packages should be removed from
> (old)stable. In general, I'd say yes for the same reasons as above. By
> keeping the packages in the archive, we are presenting a level of
> support for them that we may not actually be prepared to meet.

I'm not convinced that removal from stable (even more from oldstable) is a good
idea. It's going to disrupt functionality of the systems for users and create
unexpected (in stable) pain point. As far as I know python2 will be supported
by Debian through the Buster life cycle thus py2 tolls should operate fairly
securely as long as Buster is supported.

Probably we also should a keep this in mind for Bullseye release notes.
--

|_|_|0|                  "Panta rei"                     |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x686930DD58C338B3
3DF1  A4DF  C732  4688  38BC  F121  6869  30DD  58C3  38B3