Re: Debian Docker image

On Thu, 30 May 2019 at 14:45, Freeman, Matthew <freematt@amazon.com> wrote:
> Hello Tianon. I am part of the AWS Marketplace Bus Dev team, working with Jimmy Kaplowitz on having SPI, Inc take over the publishing of the Debian images in our catalog. As part of that effort, I discussed with Jimmy that, in addition to the standard AMIs, AWS Marketplace now supports Docker images as well. He suggested I reach out to you as the maintainer of the Debian Docker image to see if we could coordinate including a Debian Docker image as part of this overall update. I would be happy to address any specific questions on Marketplace to help facilitate. Thanks in advance.

Sure, I think that's a great idea.  The images that end up pushed to
https://hub.docker.com/_/debian are built reproducibility via the
https://github.com/debuerreotype/debuerreotype tool (also in Debian at
https://packages.debian.org/sid/debuerreotype).

The built artifacts themselves are also hosted at
https://github.com/debuerreotype/docker-debian-artifacts as part of
the Official Images integration process and they get regenerated
roughly monthly (barring major security issues that warrant more
urgent rebuilds) across the seven supported architectures and all
currently supported suites to pick up things like security updates in
the base packages, etc (and to ensure we cause downstream rebuild
triggers for users relying on Docker's build caching so that we get
security updates across the board).

I'm happy to help work this out further; I think my initial questions
would all be around logistics (how will these things get
pushed/uploaded, how often will we be updating, what infrastructure is
going to be used to build, how many architectures/suites would we be
supporting, etc).

♥,
- Tianon
  4096R / B42F 6819 007F 00F8 8E36  4FD4 036A 9C25 BF35 7DD4