Re: locales vs. locales-all

Hi,

On Fri Jan 25, 2019 at 14:56:53 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Currently the legacy Azure and at least some of the OpenStack images
> install locales-all.
>
> While installing locales-all is pretty handy and avoids a lot of
> problems, I realized that is comes with a huge drawback: it makes the
> images a lot larger (230MB uncompressed and over 100MB compressed).  It
> makes them so much larger that building images comparable with legacy
> Azure build process gets problematic on salsa.
>
> What should we do about that?

i personaly are fine with locales instead of locales-all. I just tried
to dig into the history of our config space and found
cb5fb349892c8b4f159e83555a5bd754bf77ac58 where it was added.

Maybe you ask this guy called Bastian Blank, who changed that on Nov
15th 2017. Maybe he can give you a reason why he added it back then?

Best regards,
Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>    Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer                       Debian Listmaster