Re: generic (cloud) image problems

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 02:16:05PM +0100, Christian Tramnitz wrote:
> I'm trying to use the Buster generic image
> (https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/cloud/buster/20191117-80/debian-10-generic-amd64-20191117-80.qcow2)
> to automate deployment of KVM-based VMs. The reason that I'm not using
> the genericcloud or OpenStack image is that I'm passing through
> network VFs that require "hardware" drivers not included in the other
> images.
>
> However, I'm running into multiple problems staging a system through cloud-init.
> Without the packages
> - bridge-utils
> - vlan
> - gnupg2
> it is virtually impossible to use the image for cloud-init based deployment:
> While cloud-init can also install missing packages, the install would
> happen *after* package installation and network setup. bridge-utils
> and vlan are required if the network setup has either a vlan or a bridge

package iproute2 provides what you think you are missing.

See https://www.baturin.org/docs/iproute2/#Link%20management for
examples of VLAN and bridge configuration.

> and gnupg2 is required to add 3rd party repos (otherwise
> "apt-key add" won't work). Both - network access and 3rd party repos -
> may be required for further steps of an deployment (i.e. to install
> automation tools like salt, chef or puppet).
>
> So it would be great if the above mentioned packages could be included
> at least in the generic build (not sure if this is also a typical
> requirement for the other images).
>

> Also, the file "/etc/network/interfaces" is using an include line that
> will *not* process the cloud-init generated
> "/etc/network/interfaces.d/50-cloud-init.cfg":
>
> source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
>

> Instead, sth like:
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*.cfg
>
> would be needed to process cloud-init generated network config - or -
> the cloud-init generated network config should not have the ".cfg"
> suffix.
>

> Best regards,
>    Christian

Thanks

Groeten
Geert Stappers
Happy the feedback from Christian,
not so happy with several topics in single thread under one Subject
--
Leven en laten leven