Extending support for more platforms

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to support more hypervisors- for example  the SmartOS/SmartDC platform from Joyent.

To do so, it would be enough to add the pyserial package to the installed packages as cloud-init already supports SmartOS as data source. I tested the genericcloud image and everything worked besides the cloud-init issues.

If adding the package to he generic image is not wanted, could it be an option to add smartos as another image type besides openstack and others?

If there is interest in proceeding I'd be happy to provide required changes to the image builder stuff on Salsa as a merge request.

Thanks,
Stephan