Re: Using GitLab CI (was: Moving daily builds out of main debian-cloud-images project)

On 9/1/19 5:35 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi Thomas
>
> I don't see how your response relates to my original question.  This is
> the second time in a short while you decided to work this way.
>
> On Sun, Sep 01, 2019 at 04:21:23PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> If I understand well, you're moving ahead with having all done by the
>> Salsa CI. That's really not what I envisioned. I though we'd be moving
>> to build things on Casulana, at the same time as the ISO images.
>
> I can't read your mind.  You need to actually state them.

State what? That we're supposed to build the cloud images on Casulana?
As much as I know, that has always been what we were supposed to do. You
alone decided that the gitlab's CI was the way to go.

>> The Salsa CI usually runs on Google cloud. We of course have less trust
>> in that, than a Debian machine. It's also very slow, and not in sync
>> with the Debian release process, which would make a lot more sense
>> compared to the current daily build.
>
> No.  The CI core runs within the main GitLab instance on
> goddard.debian.org.  There is no Google involved.

Good.

>> As a cloud user, I very much prefer to have images when needed, compared
>> to a daily build for which I'm not sure I need an update. I'd see moving
>> to that, instead of the perfect process Steve has implemented, as a
>> regression.
>
> I don't know what you mean.  The archive changes four times a day.  If
> you think this is wrong, please actually propose changes.

We're not only building images for Sid/Unstable, but also for stable. In
such case, we want the images to be built *only* when needed, ie: when a
package is updated in security.debian.org, or when we have a point
release. That's what was done for the OpenStack images since Stretch.

>> Your thoughts?
>
> Nothing, as this does not relate to my original question.

It does. We're suppose to build images on casulana, and not out of the
CI. Having the CI is a good thing (thanks for working on this), but I
don't see why we should use the built artifacts from it, as Casulana was
supposed to be the server where we build. Could you explain why what we
were doing so far isn't possible anymore?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)