Re: Using debian-cloud-images with VMWare?

On 7/28/19 8:18 AM, Paul Lockaby wrote:
> Hello! Please tell me if I'm in the wrong forum and I'll try somewhere else.
>
> Using bits and pieces of documentation from around here (thanks Noah Meyerhans) and other places I've figured out how to create AWS EC2 AMIs for buster. I'd like to use the same process to create something that I can boot up with VMWare Fusion so that I have an image for local development that is pretty identical to what I have on AWS.
>
> I've successfully converted the "raw" file that debian-cloud-images generates into a "vmdk" file and it boots but it won't actually start the init process. It freezes when it finishes loading the kernel.

Hi Paul
I am using this script, to convert a raw disk image to VMDK, also
generating the appropriate OVF file, so you can directly import in
VmWare (tested with VmWare command line tools)

https://github.com/EmmanuelKasper/import2vbox

Main use of it is for importing a raw disk image into virtualbox, but as
the generated OVF is somehow standard compliant, this works with VMWare too.

Manu