Re: Stalls due to insufficient randomness in cloud images

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 12:36:25PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
>Hi folks
>
>We have the famous random stall problem in our cloud images as well.
>cloud-init and our other provisioning tools will generate ssh keys and
>need randomness for that, so block for several minutes on initial boot.[1]
>
>For now we have two recipes against this:
>- amd64 trusts RDRAND, but the host needs to provide proper cpu flags for
>  this to work and
>- we support virtio-rng, which needs to be configured on the host.
>
>But we have no solution that works without proper setup of the host
>system.
>
>Can we do more about it?

d-i is using haveged now, and that's working well AFAICS.

>Does anyone know what RHEL8 (which should have this problem as well)
>does to "fix" this problem?

Pass, but I know we have some RH folks around. Just prodded Jon...

  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
  must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
  far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer