Re: Possibilities for a special Azure or cloud Linux package

On 2017-12-29 15:22:31, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 12/29/2017 12:32 PM, Marcin Kulisz wrote:
> > I personally have a mixed feelings about it on one hand I like benefits of
> > having kernel tuned for virtualised systems but on the other it may cause (as
> > lots of things in Debian) a bit of flame due to new kernel flavour.
> > Some time ago we had RT version so maybe it wouldn't be so controversial as I'm
> > afraid it may be.
>
> The huge difference is that here, we're not asking for any kind of
> patch, but just a change in the configuration when building the kernel
> (ie: remove all the drivers that are unlikely to be used in cloud).

In this case and as Waldi is a kernel-team member maybe he can speak to other
team mates about how they would feel about building one more kernel flavour
called something close to cloud or virtualisation.

Looking back at this thread we have a few supporters with justifiable use
cases and such kernel will serve well to our users, so I'd say lets bring it to
the kernel team.
--

|_|_|0|                  "Panta rei"                     |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x686930DD58C338B3
3DF1  A4DF  C732  4688  38BC  F121  6869  30DD  58C3  38B3