Re: Versioning of images

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 12:30:23PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> What do we want from a version?
>
> - A user should be able to tell what's in it, which we do by using a
>   date.
> - It should contain some monotonic increasing value to distinguish
>   between different builds on the same date.
> - Development builds should have something distinct in it.

IMO, the first requirement is too strong for a version.  It's a good
idea, but easier to accomplish by attaching tags/labels to the image.
For CI builds, that should include git url and tag/hash.

The second two requirements seem right to me.

> To accomodate this, I'll propose for the textual version:
>
> - The first part of the version depends on the build type.
>   - For release images, it will be the current date as number (e.g.
>     20181219).
>   - For development images built on the CI, it will be the namespace (if
>     the repo is /waldi/debian-cloud-images, it will be "waldi").
>   - For development images built with make, it will be "manual".
> - The second part will be just the CI pipeline IID (the ID relative to
>   the current project, so it won't get too large).  This ID is automatic
>   and monotonic increasing for a particular project.
>
> This gives as versions:
>
> - 20181219.324
> - waldi.324
> - manual.0

I like this scheme, but GCP will need a little munging since image names
can only include [a-z0-9-].

Ross